I’ve a brother who runs the Del Rey Beach (Florida) Pickleball Forum. Much of its content is of local interest only. But now and then, he posts something that rings true for pickleballers, wherever they play. Here’s one:
“ANY OF THIS SOUND FAMILIAR?
Rather than Letterman’s Top 10, here are Pickleball’s Top 10 Reasons you will LOSE more Pickleball games than you win.
10. Take TOO MANY sharp angle shots rather than high percentage shots down the middle of the court that bounces between your opponents.
9. Hit the ball TOO FAST for good placement, and do NOT give yourself enough leeway for error.
8. Do NOT play up to the No Volley Zone line.
7. Do NOT keep the ball at your opponents feet as much as possible.
6. Get upset with your Excellent Pickleball partner who has SUCCESSFULLY jumped in front of you to win the point!
5. Take away your PARTNER’S easy forehand shots, with your weaker backhand shots.
4. When your opponent hits a very difficult FAST shot at you, try and hit a low percentage sharp angled shot for a winner rather than a DEFENSIVE shot.
3. HELP your opponents by keeping their OUT balls in play.
2. FREQUENTLY miss your return of serve.
AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON YOU WILL LOSE MORE PICKLEBALL GAMES THAN YOU WIN……… FREQUENTLY miss your serve!!!!!!”
Now for something positive, like a survey. We’re thinking of having a “Grand Opening” party, some time in January or early February, on the four newly-finished premier courts. We’ve been in communication with our former Tennis Pro, Marcin Rozpedski, about the possibility of a clinic and/or exhibition (he’s now the ranking national gold medalist in the pro pickleball ranks and Sports Director at The Lakes CC, next door). So, what do you think of this idea and would you want to contribute, say, $30 or $50 to participate in a clinic led by the country’s best pickleballer? Also, what do you think about having this on a Saturday or Sunday morning, when he’s available and the new courts are at their best for play? Finally, what do you think of having Morgan Evans, another national champ join Marcin in an exhibition, before or after the clinic? PLEASE GIVE US YOUR THOUGHTS IN THE “Reply” BOX BELOW.
Lastly, come on down to the courts for some play this Wednesday or Friday from 2-4pm, and Saturday or Sunday from 10am-noon.